July 21, 2011

Pink VS Blue

When Jonathan and I first moved in together he thought my classification of chores as pink jobs vs blue jobs was funny. It has now become a system that we use on a regular basis. My neat freak self is calmed a bit because I know that there are things that I don't have to do. Jon's mind is eased because he only has to remember a few things. 
I bring this up now because we just bought a BBQ and ended up in a Facebook debate with some friends. I think BBQ-ing is a pink job. It is a way to cook meals. Our friends think that it should be a blue job. What do you think? 
Here are some of our other breakdowns....I think I get the better end of the deal!
1. Cleaning the bathrooms = blue. Cleaning the rest of the condo = pink
2. Cooking = pink. Dishes = Blue.
3. Kitty litter box = blue. Brushing the kitties = pink.
4. Building the xmas tree = blue. Attaching the lights = blue. Putting on all the decorations = pink.

2 comments:

Robin said...

Yeah, my dad did all the outdoor cooking as I grew up. When we got married I decided it was my husband's job (but really just so I didn't have to do it). I think whoever wants to do it and is good at it should do it. We are constantly switching up the chore routine at our house. No one is guaranteed to not have a certain chore. Eventually everyone will do everything.

By the way, beautiful photo of the flowers. I can almost smell them.

Shannon said...

Sadly, all the jobs at my house are pink. ;)
That being said, I enjoy BBQing. I think it's the easiest way to cook a meal, and I enjoy being outside while cooking. However, I've been told (jokingly, I'm sure) that BBQing is not for girls to do.
Of course, I come from a family where the majority of any of the cooking was done by my dad (including the BBQing).

I think what I'm saying, in my rambling disjointed way, is that there are no firm gender lines for cooking in my reality. If you like to do it, do it. If you don't, find someone who does and trade the jobs!