December 15, 2010

Snow Day


I currently live in Edmonton, AB which is way colder than I would like. There was a snow warning issued early Tuesday  and continued for most of today. We are not a city of lightweights when it comes to nasty weather, so schools were still open and malls were still busy. Shannon and I decided that since we both had the day off, we were going to spend it on the couch watching movies. After some running around in the awful snow we made it back to her parents house where she is dog sitting with the day's provisions and movie selections. The Movie Studio was all out of The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (which is my favourite Christmas movie and what I was really looking forward to...) So we rented and watched the following:
The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus
What a strange movie! They did a good job considering that Heath Ledger died in the middle of the filming, and his character has a big part, but we were confused for most of the movie. It doesn't help that when we have a movie day we also do other things while watching (Shannon was cross stitching, I was backing up my photos onto discs) If you are going to watch this one make sure you can pay full attention to it! My rating: 2 out of 10
The Young Victoria
Overall a pretty cool movie, true to history and I learned a bit about the royal family. I usually love anything that involves period gowns and speech patterns, and this didn't disappoint. It had a chunk of slow scenes that allowed for Twitter time too! My rating: 5 of 10
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time
This was way, way better than I was expecting it to be. It was also one that you really had to watch to figure out what was happening, but no where near as confusing as the Dr. Some cool special effects (it always amazes me what they do with sand) and Jake Gyllenhaal shirtless on occasion. We picked it up on recommendation from Karl, and, although not perfect, it was still the best of the bunch. My rating: 7 of 10
So, overall a really good day. Lots of junk food,  way more than should have been consumed after skipping the gym, but hey, one day in awhile isn't bad! And we made a really healthy dinner! Roast with potatoes, sweet potatoes, carrots and parsnips! Yummy! Maybe a bit overdone (we forgot to set a timer), but still decent! But yeah, back at home and ready to sleep due to all the sugar! I did spot a few new packages under our Christmas tree, and they have my name on them....yay!

1 comment:

Robin said...

What a great way to spend a day. I'm glad you had fun.

Yeah, I actually like weird movies and I had trouble with the Dr.